We need to talk about waste. Shrink-wrapped vegies, disposable coffee cups, clothes and electronics designed to be upgraded every year: we are surrounded by stuff that we often use once and then throw away. Each year Australian households produce enough rubbish to fill a three-bedroom home, including thousands of dollars worth of food and an ever-increasing amount of plastic, which takes hundreds of years to break down and often ends up in our oceans or our food chain.
But what to do about such a huge problem? Is it just the price we pay for the conveniences of modern life? What if it were possible to have it both ways – to live a modern life with less waste?
That’s where Erin comes in. Erin went from eating plastic-packaged takeaway while shopping online for fast fashion, to becoming one of Australia’s most popular eco-bloggers. Erin knows that small changes can have a big impact. In Waste Not she shares everything she’s learnt from her own funny, inspiring – and far-from-perfect – journey to living with less waste.
Learn how to:
- switch out the disposable plastics from your shopping trolley
- make simple cleaning solutions free from harmful chemicals
- find your favourite beauty products without all the packaging
- give a baby shower present that won’t end up in the charity shop bag
- plan your own zero-waste wedding (and what ‘zero waste’ even means!)
Date: Thurs 12 July 2018
Neighbourhood Books, 55 High St, Northcote VIC 3070
Booking: $30 per ticket (including a copy of Waste Not), Book your place here