Hardie Grant Children’s Publishing is the young readers’ division of one of Australia’s largest independent publishers. We are the home of bestselling, award-winning and ground-breaking stories for young people, and people young at heart.
We publish picture books, fiction and non-fiction for children and young adults. We are currently accepting submissions for the following categories:
- Picture book manuscripts for our Bright Light imprint only: stories that shine a light on important conversations, topics or experiences.
- Graphic novels for all ages: 30 pages of storyboard, including at least 4 pages of finished art, and full synopsis.
- Submissions for any Hardie Grant Children’s Publishing imprint from writers and illustrators from marginalised backgrounds and communities.
All manuscripts must be made through Submittable. We will endeavour to review your submission within three months, and will contact you if we would like to progress your manuscript.
- Submissions should be from citizens or residents of Australia and/or New Zealand. We do not accept submissions from outside Australia, New Zealand or Oceania unless via an agent, or the author has citizenship or residency within the region.
- We can only consider one manuscript per person at a time.
- For writers and illustrators from marginalised backgrounds and communities: We welcome submissions about any subject matter and in any genre intended for young readers.
- A note on word lengths:
- Junior fiction manuscripts, for readers aged approximately 4–8 years, should be between 2000 and 20,000 words;
- middle-grade manuscripts, for readers aged approximately 8–12, should be between 20,000 and 50,000 words;
- and young adult manuscripts, for readers aged approximately 12+, should be between 40,000 and 80,000 words.
- There is no word count requirement for graphic novels.
- We are not considering play scripts, screenplays, activity or poster books, individual short stories, technical manuals, cookbooks, how-to guides, travel guides or. educational textbooks.
- Due to the large volume of submissions, we are unable to provide individual editorial advice.
- If you do not meet these guidelines, your manuscript will not be considered.
Note: The Ampersand Prize for debut children's and YA manuscripts runs every two years, and will next run in July 2024. More information can be found here: https://www.hardiegrant.com/au/hardie-grant-childrens-publishing/ampersand-prize
If your manuscript meets the guidelines above, you can SUBMIT HERE.